Day 13 - July 29 - Berchestgaden, Germany

A view from the top of Berchtesgade

Day 13 started with a 7:45 am bus ride to Berchtesgade.  We'll be in Germany going across the Austria German border to visit Hitler's retreat.  It's also been called the Eagles Nest.  

Those that know me, know that I am Jewish and while I don't 'practice' the way others do, I was still raised as a Jew, went to Hebrew school and certainly associate myself as a Jew.  So, it was with mixed emotions that I visited this retreat of Hitler's.  It was a spooky feeling to know that sometime, almost 80 years ago, he walked the same paths that I did today as did other monsters, Hermann Goring, Martin Bormann etc.  

Here's an aerial picture from a website since you can't get the full magnitude of it when you are up there.


The property was turned back to the Austrian government when WW II ended and since 1952, has been run as a restaurant.  That being said, you can view the room and take in the views from on top.  None of any of the original furniture is there; but the building is largely untouched and all, I'm told is pretty much original.  It was used exclusively for social functions and and government meetings by the Nazi party.  There are only 14 documented visits by Hitler and there are no bedrooms.  It is reported that he did not stay there.




At the top of the picture on the left, you can spot the Eagle's Nest - i.e. Berchtesgaden.  This is the tunnel that takes you to the elevator - 124 meters to the top

You approach by special bus which were built for the switchbacks on the mountain road to a staging area for the buses and from there you take the original elevator 124 meters (406 feet) up.  The elevator is all brass and there is an elevator operator who guides it up to the top and puts you into the interior of the building.



    
The tea room and the views from there





There is a large restaurant which used to be the conference room, another room with a big fireplace and also a 'tea' room where Ava Braun entertained the wives of those visiting.

So, attempting to put aside, but not forget, Hitler and the monsters that walked the same halls, the outside views are amazing, as you would expect.  We were extremely lucky.  Over 6,000 people visit Berchtesgaden daily.  The line for the elevator can become very long.  We were there early and rode right up to the top; were able to look out at the views without mobs of people.  When we descended the same way we came up, elevator, there were long lines.







Once down and back on the bus, we went to lunch.  Today, being our last day, Odyssey is including lunch and dinner.  Lunch was at a restaurant in the town of Berchtesgaden, Hofbrauhaus Berchtesgaden.  NOTHING and I repeat, NOTHING in Austria or Germany or Switzerland or Liechtenstein is flat.  I can't begin to tell you what the grade was, going down to the restaurant but I knew I had to walk UP if I wanted to get back on the bus.


Wayne found another bench.   This was BEFORE the trudge UP the hill but it was after lunch.
Joe, one of our travel companions for the past two weeks had a birthday today

YUP, that's the 'giant cream puff'. I left the top and the bottom and ate the ice cream inside!

Ok, so I have this thing with pictures of toilets.  Why would you have seats like this in a restaurant Water Closet (yes, speaking the language).  

Views from the restaurant.  






Lunch was Wiener Schnitzel; again.   Having had it twice already, today was the 3rd time.   it's very tasty, but I've had enough for a while.  I ate 1/3 of it.  Because, dessert was a GIANT cream puff filled with ice cream.  I ate the ice cream and little of the whipped cream.  I promise, I did not eat much of it at all.  On the other hand, Wayne ate all of his Schnitzel and all of his "Puff".  He said his mother made him clean his plate if he were to get dessert.  OMG!   And, we have our parting dinner tonight.  I forgot what I ordered, but I hope it's fish.

Lunch finished I trudged back up that massive hill to the bus.  I had no choice.  I was offered a ride up in a car but Wayne, starting early, managed to make it up the hill and I was NOT going to be shown up by him.

Back at the hotel now, we're kind of resting.  Wayne is 'doing' his pictures and emails for yesterday and today since right now the internet is working for him.  Dinner is at 6 pm and luggage has to be outside our door at 5:15 am tomorrow morning for our 5:45 am ride to Munich.  We will drop our bags off at the Munich airport Hilton and then, on our own, go out to see some of Munich.  We have a 9:25 am Lufthansa flight on Monday morning - Munch, nonstop to Chicago (9 1/2 hrs).  A four hour layover I am looking forward to, and then Chicago to Phoenix (4 hours) where our friend, Nate will pick us up.  It is really strange to think that Monday at 9:25 am we'll be in Munich and we'll be in Phoenix at 6 pm.   Well, we lost a day getting here; so we get to make it up.

More about dinner and whatever else happens tomorrow, tomorrow.

Farewell dinner at the Rooftop restaurant in Salzburg.  Saying goodbye to new friends.

Appetizer or as they say in the EU, the starter. Everything was good except for the beef tartare.  I tried it, but it didn't want to go down on the third tasting.

First piece of beef since the trip started

Creme brulee for dessert 














Comments

  1. Definitely can not forget the enormity of the atrocities that occurred there; but at the same time appreciate the beauty that now has replaced it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Wednesday July 19 - Old City of Lucerne and Mt. Pilatus

Day 1 - Monday July 17- Lots of travel

We're Off Again - Another Adventure