Day 7 - Sunday July 23 - Lugano and Ascona Wine Tasting

The promenade in Ascona, Switzerland (a/k/a almost Italy)

I had a lovely day today.  Sunday, and most everything is closed but that didn't stop us from seeing some sights and having a wonderful Sunday.

We left the hotel, a wonderful hotel, WITH AIR CONDITIONING (AMEN) at 9:15 and headed onto the funicular.  That's a new word for my vocabulary.  It's a counterbalanced railway car, operated by a cable.  One car goes up while the other goes down.  It was right outside our hotel; the hotel Luganodante.  Let me back up to the hotel.   Modern, sleek, minimalist in style.  And it had AC.   Did I say that already.  Let me say it again!   It had AC.  It is hot and humid here in Lugano, Switzerland.  We're in the Italian speaking Cantone (another word for county or parish - as in Lousiana has parishes and not counties).  Anyway, we are in the Cantone of Ticino.  It's more like Italy than Switzerland.   And, after just a week here, I really like Italy better.   

So, we left the hotel, and took our bus to a winery, the Terreni alla Maggia on Lake Maggiore.   They grow grapes, of course.  And the wine they make is mainly merlot.   They make a white and red merlot.   It's all about when they crush the grapes, whether they leave the skins to mascerate with the juices.   The red skins make the wine red (or not, if not left in with the juices of the grape).  Ok, I really sound like I know what I'm talking about, but NOT!



Pergola at the winery full of grapevines and grapes

They also make gin, whiskey; grappa and they grow rice for risotto.  They also grow corn for polenta.  And they also grows wheat and make pasta for sale.  They also had an apple orchard and they made apple juice.   Wayne is right.  I don't think they throw anything out!  

They make 85,000 bottles of wine a year. on 150 hectares of ground (370 acres).    They have a 5 star hotel and a restaurant with a Michelin star.

We got to taste four different wines and they provided, a white, rose and two red wines.   I'm not a connoisseur of wines and I didn't fall in love with any of them.  A good thing, since I would have had to to drink anything I bought before I boarded a plane.   No problem; I bought some rice for risotto so Terry Morrill can make us all some risotto when we get back together.  We were also served some cheeses and meats and a little bread to cleanse our palate between tastings.   What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning.


Part of our group, tasting the wine

We went from the winery to lunch (not really needed) at the Grotto America Ponte Brolla.  The meal was served alfresco in a grotto.  It was shady and cool and lovely.  Still in Switzerland, but who would have known.  Everyone speaks Italian and the meal was two hours long.   The 'starter" was another round of meats (ham, prosciutto), different cheeses, pickles, pickled onions and of course wine.  The main course, 2nd course was rabbit, beef, sausage, polenta, grilled vegetables and risotto.  The dessets were small dishes of chocolate mousse and an amazing panna cotta with raspberries on top.  Two hours later, we boarded the bus and headed for the small lakeside town of Ascona to walk off (yeah, right) the effects of lunch.  



The way in and out of the American Grotto restaurant





part of our group at lunch - the bowls are what the wine is served in

It was a pretty lakeside town and I took a walk down the promenade looking at the water and the beautiful older buildings.  The humidity and the heat got to me and I was glad to get back on the air conditioned bus and head for our hotel.

Walking to the promenade around the lake in Ascona Switzerland

The promenade 

Flowers and restaurants along the promenade


Lake front - what a pretty view for a lunch on a Sundy


Walking off lunch along the promenade




Wayne did his 'thing' with his pictures and group email and not needing any dinner, we walked out to the Plazza della Riforma square to Vanini Chocolate and Caffe for gelato.  That was dinner tonight, a dish of gelato - coffee and DARK chocolate.  I couldn't believe it when I asked for chocolate and was asked, in Italian if I wanted dark or milk chocolate.  

No pictures.   I refuse to incriminate myself with a picture of the gelato (a/k/a dinner).  Oh my, I do like Italy.   

That's it for today.  Tomorrow we have a few hours free in the morning and then we're off on a private motorboat ride on Lake Lugano, and a few other stops.  But, that's tomorrow.  Right now, it's a shower to wash off some of this humidity.  I'm hoping my hand washed clothes dry before we leave in another day. 





  





Comments

  1. THXFOR SO MUCH FOR THE DETAILS OF YOUR FANTASTIC TRIP NOT TO MENTION THE GORGEOUS PICS!! SAFE TRAVELS!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Wednesday July 19 - Old City of Lucerne and Mt. Pilatus

Day 1 - Monday July 17- Lots of travel

We're Off Again - Another Adventure