Day 9 - September 20 - Colmar,and The Black Forest

 



We docked in Briesach Germany and when we departed the ship, immediately crossed the bridge over the Rhine and found ourselves in France. Our destination was Colmar France and the medieval village.  

We had a little train ride into town with a guide. She showed us many of the older structures. The oldest house dates back to 1350. 

We had well over an hour and a half to wander on our own after our tour. I wandered the streets alone, taking pictures and window shopping. I stopped at a cafe and had a small snack. I'm tired of sweets and pastries so I ordered a cheese platter. I can't imagine bringing cheese home safely, eating it at a cafe in the Alsace region seemed the best. The brie was delicious as well the Swiss cheese. So was the last cheese except I have no idea what it was.



















We were back on the ship for lunch and then off again for the 2 pm bus tour to the Black Forest. It's quite a ride, 90 minutes to the small town of Hofgut Sternen.  With a little over an hour in town, we can see glassblowing, cookoo clocks or have a piece of black forest cake.

I watched the cookoo clock demonstration and DIDNT buy.  I watched the glassblowing demonstration and DID buy, a small piece.  And then I had a piece of delicious Black Forest cake and watched the demonstration with the best part being given the recipe.  Stay tuned in Arizona for a real black forest cake!










All in all, it was a pleasant day, lots of beautiful scenery. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 49 - Wednesday, July 31, 2024 - Stockholm Sweden

Day 3 - Wednesday July 19 - Old City of Lucerne and Mt. Pilatus

Day 23 - Wednesday March 5, 2024 - On the Way home