Day 31 - Saturday, July 13, 2024 - Back at the Orkney Islands




Back in the Orkney Islands, in the small town of Kirkwall.  I'm not sure how many people can say they went to the Orkney Islands more than once, but I guess I'm one of them.

We were here on June 18 and we took the tour, seeing The Ring of Brodgar....the stones that the giants danced around....ok, so maybe you don't remember but since I do, I just went into town today with Wayne....he did NOT want to see those stones again!  


There was a shuttle bus that ran into town and we wandered some of the streets.   We had a coffee in town and Wayne wandered back to the shuttle bus while I wandered more of the town 


Tourism is definitely number 1 here.  If it draws in the tourists, it all helps.


Kirkwall is today the capital of Orkney but was for centuries the capital of the Norse-held Nordreyjar – the ‘Northern Isles’. James III of Scotland annexed the islands in 1472 after his bride’s father, Christian I of Denmark-Norway, failed to pay her promised dowry.

The Bishop’s Palace was built around the early 1100s. 

The Earl’s Palace was built around 1606 by Patrick, Earl of Orkney.  Known as ‘Black Patie’, the earl ruled the Northern Isles from 1592 until his execution 23 years later. It was alleged at the trial of the authoritarian ruler that he used slave labour to build his residences.  Sounds to me that he got his comeuppance!







Ok, another ketchup bottle... I was in  Geiranger Norway when I took the last picture. All I can say is , ketchup is cheaper here and it's a bigger bottle!



I scored!!!! a used duffel bag that rolls in a charity shop for £4...US equivalent, so my bank tells me is $5.33.   Now I don't need to see Wayne's evil eye when I buy something and he swears he won't help me get it home.  My problem, the few things I buy, plates, cups, are heavier than I think.   Anyway, I'm allowed 2 checked bags on the flights home and I'm golden for now.  And I can throw it away when I get home if I want!

Last photo of the day!

Back to Edinburgh Scotland tomorrow but a new,. different tour.   Going to a church!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 49 - Wednesday, July 31, 2024 - Stockholm Sweden

Day 3 - Wednesday July 19 - Old City of Lucerne and Mt. Pilatus

Day 23 - Wednesday March 5, 2024 - On the Way home